Saturday, June 24, 2006

A is for Autechre


Chiastic Slide
(Warp Records, 1997)

I anticipated that the first entry to A is for Music would be easy to choose. (That is, I cipated that the choice would be hard.) But when it came time to actually decide on the entry, I was paralyzed with indecision. An album that I bought three times? Or something by pseudo-jailbait infectiously Europop songstress?

But after deep soul-searching and a little bit of prodding (which if you don't know already is far more canonical than I'm going to be), I'll just go ahead and say that Chiastic Slide is my lead-off entry.

Doesn't matter if most listeners seriously underrate Chiastic, the Autechre cognoscenti (of which I am obviously a part) call it one of Booth and Brown's best albums to date. Chiastic is their most successful (and perhaps only?) attempt at combining their early ambient techno organicness with the generative thuggery for which they're currently notorious. They may have been more melodic before (Incunabula, Amber), and more confrontationally intelligent afterwards (everything they've released after 2001), but Chiastic bridges both phases.

And if you're still not convinced, Chiastic Slide has added indie cred by being domestically unavailable in the States (except as an import) until 2001, four years after its release in the UK.

1. "Cichli" - Ah, that twinkling melody! "Cichli" has Autechre's usual flat, compressed beats that are not so much percussion as they percuss, but the lullaby-like melody is so sweet that it softens the hard edges of the song into a warm bed, lushly monochromatic. And if post-Confield Autechre is the stark black-and-white of German expressionism, then "Cichli" (and the rest of Chiastic) has the luxuriant hues of Dreiser's The Passion of Joan of Arc. (Take that Pitchfork!)

2. "Recury" - True story: I was at a show where Mira "Mrs. Autechre" Calix was DJing, and being married to Sean Booth means she had to dominate her set with: 1. the most barely there ambient; and 2. harsh industrial noise like Richard Devine and Venetian Snares. In other words, INTELLIGENT DANCE MUSIC THAT YOU CAN'T DANCE TO BECAUSE IT'S, YOU KNOW, "INTELLIGENT," I.E. BORING. But then she dropped "Recury" on the turntable -- a track that had been buried under an album that I was still pretty far from getting into -- and I realized that the beats stomped hard like gigantic chrome pistons and the (yes) melody was another killer, and from there as I shook my skinny behind (I'll admit as well as a So You Think You Can Dance reject), I was on my way to Chiastic fandom.

3. "Cipater" - Crunchy, fat beats that can't be anticipated!

4. "Rettic AC" - I surprised myself by liking "Rettic AC." After all, it's 2 minutes of fuzzy static and weird synth patches yawning in the backgroud, but like most of Autechre's more ambient tracks, it bores into your head until it grows into something as silently engrossing as the Chiastic coverart.

5. "Nuane" - Like "Cipater," but on steroids and Robot Growth Hormone. I like to imagine that it's the soundtrack to a cyborg horror film.

Worst Song: "Pule"
And here I confess that I don't like Autechre's ambient tracks. "Rettic AC" is an exception because it's 2 minutes, but every other ambient track is more than 6 minutes and generally rates at least a 7 on my Boring Index, and "Pule" is as non-descript as "Overand," "Yulquen," and "Uviol."

TV Rating: Twin Peaks - "The Last Evening"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home